The Frazier Community Library opened to the public on November 10, 1960. Its establishment was made possible with funds from the estate of Mary Fuller Frazier. Frazier bequeathed $1.5 million to Perryopolis in 1948 and specified funding for a community library. Officially titled the Mary Fuller Frazier School-Community Library, the name has since been shortened to the Frazier Community Library. Its symbol is the Flame of Knowledge. It is dedicated to providing resources and services to its patrons and supports the continuous pursuit of knowledge.
The Frazier Community Library has a close working relationship with the Frazier School District. The high school library shares its space with the community library. Thus, the space functions as a school library during the day and as a public library after school hours. The two libraries share resources, including computers, a black and white printer, databases, and print materials.
The Library is accessible via a private entrance located off Constitution Street. Please note that the public library usually follows the school calendar and will be closed on those days that the school is closed. It also follows the district’s schedule for snow cancellations. Please call for further directions or if you have any questions.
In 2013, the Library Board received a grant to restore The Flame of Knowledge to its original finish and location. It was rededicated on June 26, 2014 in conjunction with the Perryopolis Bicentennial.
Rededication ceremony. Mr. Pete Pierotti, seated, saved the Flame from destruction when the school was renovated in 1990.
Photo Credit: Richard Timko